- preceded by fifteen others in a series; 16th
- designating any of the sixteen equal parts of something
Origin of sixteenthMiddle English sixtenthe, replacing Old English syxteotha: see sixteen and amp; -th
- the one following the fifteenth
- any of the sixteen equal parts of something;
in the sixteenth place, rank, etc.
- The ordinal number matching the number 16 in a series.
- One of 16 equal parts.
English ordinal numbers may function as either an adjective or as a noun, and almost never appear in the plural.
- 16th, 16th; (in names of monarchs and popes) XVI